Top Tips For A Healthy Lifestyle
There are many changes that we can make to improve our lifestyles. Here are some really simple ones that are easy to implement in to your everyday life, they will have a great impact on your over-all health and mental well being.
1. We Brits spend an average of 17 years in a lifetime sitting on the sofa, with 7 years of that devoted to watching the television. So think about this fact when you are saying “I haven’t got time to go to the gym”, switch off the box and get out there. Its’ better to do a little of something than nothing at all!
2. Take active steps to control your muffin top, a world-wide study has established that women up to the age of 40 and men up to 50 need 12,000 steps a day to help shift that middle jiggle. Invest in a pedometer to make sure you're reaching your target and hit those hills for a sunshine boost.
3. The suns rays on the skin help your body produce vitamin D, which has been shown to fight heart disease, depression, osteoporosis and even some types of cancer. There is not a lot of sun around at this time of year, so make the most of it when it does appear and always wear your sun protection. At John and Ginger we recommend SkinCeuticals Sheer Mineral Defense SPF 50, 100% minerals protecting from damaging UVA & UVB rays.
4. If you fill your body with rubbish then it is going to feel rubbish, eat fresh making sure you reach your 5 a day. The important fact is we need much more than 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. One of the largest studies into diet and cancer (the Europe-wide EPIC study) –found that eating just one extra portion of fruit and vegetables a day could cut your risk of dying early from any cause by 20 per cent.
5. You can add 14 years to your life by taking regular exercise, drinking sensibly, do not smoke and eat your 5 plus portions of fruit and veg a day.
6. Hold on the salt shaker. We eat around 9.5g of salt a day, but the Government wants us to cut this to no more than 6g, as high levels of salt can push up your blood pressure, raising your risk of cardiovascular conditions. Many food labels only list salt as sodium however, but you can do a simple sum to work out their real salt content; just multiply by 2.5. So 0.8g of sodium becomes 2g of salt.
7. Laughter is the best medicine. Studies have found that those with a positive attitude suffer less from conditions such as heart disease. Find something to laugh at every day to give your feel-good hormones a boost.
8. Get some sleep, adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more. Some studies have shown that 8 hours of sleep is the average requirement for adults. But all people are different and the need for sleep can range from 6 to 10 hours. If you feel sleepy during 4pm and 6pm, you probably do not get enough rest. If you struggle to sleep and need some help to relax and unwind then we recommend Aromatherapy Associates Relax Deep Bath and Shower Oil, with a blend of seriously relaxing and restful aromatherapy oils that will help to aid a tranquil night.
9. Take time out and socialise, it has recently been discovered that friendship could help us live longer. Social isolation and loneliness have been associated with a higher rate of death in the elderly. Friends provide emotional support, which helps us deal with stress, and feeling loved boosts production of feel-good chemicals dopamine and oxytocin, which promote brain growth, combating ageing.
10.Stay hydrated. I recommend coconut water to clients for inner hydration, as so many of us do not hydrate nearly enough. It is naturally isotonic, containing 5 essential electrolytes, Magnesium, Sodium, Phosphorous, Potassium and Calcium. Keeping our skin and body cells at the perfect hydration levels, which vital for overall well-being. Look for brands with zero added sugar.
Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax Bath And Shower Oil 55ml
A natural and powerful blend of essential oils to help you unwind and relax. A potent and effective blend that instantly helps calm a busy mind and ensures a good nights sleep.
Aromatherapy Associates Forest Therapy Bath And Shower Oil 55ml
The next best thing to a walk in the woods, a blend of evergreen essential oils that include evergreen Pink Pepper, Juniper Berry, Cypress and refreshing Sicilian Lemon.
Skinceuticals Sheer Mineral UV Defense SPF50 50ml
A mattifying fluid with 100% mineral filters provides high UVA/UVB protection. This silky sheer fluid spreads evenly and dries quickly, leaving skin bare and soothed.