Education Blog For Dermalogica Stabilizing Repair Cream
How to stop sensitive skin
Say goodbye to sensitive skin with Stabilizing Repair Cream We’re delighted to introduce you to our new product from Dermalogica, Stabilizing Repair Cream. This is the ultimate solution for sensitive skin, whether you suffer from redness, irritation, or dryness. The ultra-soothing actives instantly calm your skin, breaking the cycle of sensitivity and boosting your skin’s resilience over time. We asked Dermalogica’s Education Manager Victoria Evans to explain how this product works to restore your skin’s barrier and stop sensitive skin.
Click here to shop: Dermalogica Stabilizing Repair Cream
What makes Stabilizing Repair Cream different from other moisturisers and who can benefit from it?
Stabilizing Repair Cream is a breakthrough moisturiser that helps to stop sensitive skin in as little as one week! (See the clinical study evidence below) Unlike other moisturisers that only hydrate your skin, this product also repairs your skin’s barrier, which is essential for preventing sensitivity. This creamy formula contains ultra-soothing actives that calm your skin on contact, breaking the pattern of sensitive skin and helping it to become more resilient over time.
This product is perfect for anyone who has sensitive or reactive skin - whether you experience redness, dryness, irritation, or all of the above. You can use it as your daily moisturiser, morning and/or evening, depending on your skin’s needs. It’s a rich and comforting cream that melts into your skin, providing immediate relief from irritation and barrier issues. You’ll love how it makes your skin feel soft, smooth, and healthy.
How can you tell if you have a sensitive skin type or just temporary sensitivity?
Many people experience sensitivity in their skin, but not everyone has a sensitive skin type. As a Professional Skin Therapist, we use a few criteria to determine whether your sensitivity is genetic or acquired. Both conditions can cause similar symptoms, such as redness, dryness, or irritation, but the root cause or trigger is different. Here are some of the factors we consider diagnosing your skin sensitivity: Some possible factors are:
- Your skin history: If you have always had sensitive skin since childhood, or if you have a family history of sensitive skin, you are more likely to have a sensitive skin type. If your sensitivity started later in life, or if it comes and goes, you may have temporary sensitivity.
- Your skin reaction: If your skin reacts to almost anything, such as products, weather, stress, or food, you may have a sensitive skin type. If your skin only reacts to specific triggers, such as harsh ingredients, environmental pollutants, or hormonal changes, you may have temporary sensitivity.
- Your skin condition: If your skin is constantly inflamed, dry, or irritated, you may have a sensitive skin type. If your skin is normal or oily most of the time, but occasionally becomes sensitive, you may have temporary sensitivity.
Sensitive skin is a genetic skin type that you inherit from your parents. It means that your skin barrier, which is the protective layer of your skin, is defective or weak. This makes your skin more vulnerable to irritation, inflammation, and infection. You may also have trouble tolerating topical products, such as cleansers, moisturisers, or makeup, and experience allergic reactions to them. You may also suffer from other allergies, such as hay fever, and have inflammatory skin disorders, such as eczema, rosacea, or psoriasis. This skin type requires lifelong, daily management to keep your skin healthy and comfortable.
Sensitised skin is an acquired skin condition that develops over time due to your lifestyle and environment. It can affect any skin type, regardless of your genetics. The causes of sensitised skin are numerous and varied, such as stress, pollution, sun exposure, diet, medication, or over-exfoliation. These factors can damage your skin barrier and make your skin more reactive and prone to sensitivity. Sensitised skin can be temporary or chronic, depending on the severity and frequency of the triggers.
What are some of the factors that can cause or worsen skin sensitivity?
There are many things that can trigger or aggravate skin sensitivity, depending on your skin type and condition. Some of the most common ones are:
- Lifestyle habits that affect your skin health, such as high stress levels, poor sleep quality, spicy foods, alcohol, smoking and exposure to the elements. These habits can increase nerve sensitivity, inflammation, dehydration, and oxidative stress in your skin.
- Environmental factors that damage your skin barrier, such as pollution, UV rays, high or low humidity, harsh weather, central heating, and air conditioning. These factors can strip away your skin’s natural oils, moisture, and antioxidants, leaving it vulnerable to irritation and infection.
- Topical products that irritate or overstimulate your skin, especially if you use them too frequently or in high concentrations. Over-exfoliation, excessive use of acids or retinoids, harsh cleansers and drying spot treatments are some examples of products that can disrupt your skin’s pH balance, microbiome, and barrier function.
What are the key ingredients that make this product so effective?
This product features a unique blend of ingredients that work together to calm and repair your skin. It contains a proprietary Ceramide-Building Complex, which replenishes your skin’s natural lipids, fortifying your skin’s barrier to lock in moisture and prevent sensitivity. It also contains soothing Cica, which balances your skin’s hydration levels and reduces inflammation. Additionally, it contains Tasmania Lanceolota Extract, which calms your skin and helps diminish the appearance of redness.
Why are ceramides important for your skin and how does this product deliver them?
Ceramides are lipids (fats) that make up half of your skin’s natural moisture barrier. They help your skin stay hydrated and protected from irritation. Many products contain ceramides, but Stabilizing Repair Cream goes a step further. It not only replenishes your skin’s ceramides, but also stimulates your skin to produce its own ceramides for lasting benefits. This is the latest in ceramide technology, and it’s only available in Stabilizing Repair Cream.
How can this product stop sensitive skin in just one week?
Stabilizing Repair Cream is backed by science and proven by results. In an independent, third-party clinical test* of 31 subjects, Stabilizing Repair Cream showed remarkable product efficacy, delivering a visible reduction in redness, irritation, and itchiness within 1 week. (2 applications/day for 8 weeks). That means you can see and feel the difference in your skin in just 7 days! No wonder it’s called Stabilizing Repair Cream. *Clinical study evidences.
How can you get the best results with Stabilizing Repair Cream?
To get the most out of Stabilizing Repair Cream, you need to use it as part of a simple and gentle skincare regimen that soothes and calms your skin. Here are my top product recommendations and how to use them. Remember, with sensitive skin, you don’t want to overdo it or use harsh products, so keep your routine simple and stick to it.
- PREP: Start with a nourishing and gentle double cleanse using Micellar Prebiotic PreCleanse and UltraCalming Cleanser. These products will remove dirt, makeup, and impurities without stripping or irritating your skin. They also contain prebiotics, which are food for your skin’s good bacteria, helping to balance and protect your skin.
- TREAT: Next, apply UltraCalming Serum Concentrate, a super-concentrated serum that calms, restores, and defends sensitised skin. This serum contains an exclusive UltraCalming™ Complex, which has oat and botanicals to ease inflammation and redness. It also has peptides and natural oils to strengthen your skin’s barrier and prevent future sensitivity.
- GLOW: Finally, apply Stabilizing Repair Cream, the star product that breaks the pattern of sensitive skin. This cream instantly calms and soothes your skin, while repairing your skin’s barrier with ceramides. It also reduces the appearance of redness with soothing cica and Tasmania Lanceolota Extract. In the morning, follow with Invisible Physical Defence SPF30, a chemical-free, non-irritating sunscreen that protects your skin from UV rays and environmental damage.
Click here to shop: Dermalogica Stabilizing Repair Cream