Your Skin Workout With Dermalogica
Well we have all heard of The Body Coach, unless you have been living under a rock, and if like me you have been spending the summer doing Joe Wicks’ HIIT Workouts then you have probably noticed a change in your skin.
Although there are many benefits of exercise on our bodies there are also many for our skin too.
- Increased levels of blood flow, oxygen and nutrients that help the skin to repair environmental damage that causes premature ageing, skin irritation and sensitivity.
- Improved collagen production, therefore improved skin texture and fewer wrinkles.
- Improved immune system to fight infection and skin breakouts.
- Reduce stress that triggers multitude of problems, including premature ageing, acne breakouts and increased pigmentation.
- Increased antioxidant activity which helps prevent wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- Can reduce the risk of developing psoriasis by 25-30%
However sadly there is a flip side, and exercise can have a negative impact on your skin health with dehydration which increases the appearance of fine lines, increased sensitivity and redness and increased breakouts and congestion.
So to keep your skin happy and healthy here are our top skincare tips so you can ensure a happy healthy skin.
- Start with clean skin to avoid breakouts and congestion. A quick and easy way to clean the skin in the gym or out on the road is to use Dermalogica PreCleanse Wipes or Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser, both do not require any water for removal. Remember post work out it is important to remove the sweat, dirt, and pollutants, bacteria and dead skin.
- Before and after you work out, spritz your skin with Dermalogica Multi Active Toner or Dermalogica UltraCalming Mist. Humectants such as Hyaluronic Acid will bind, boost and lock the moisture to the skin. Keep in fridge if you can, it feels so refreshing.
- Apply sunscreen with a minimum of SPF20 at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure, then again every two hours if you exercise outside.
During a Workout
- Keep skin clear of heavy makeup like foundation, blush or correctors. If you want some coverage wear Dermalogica Sheer Tint, is it oil free, light weight and has an SPF20. And opt for waterproof mascara it is better than panda eyes.
- Keep long hair tied back and off the face, keep your bangs off your face too.
- Keep styling products away from hair line, they can cause breakouts.
- If swimming in chlorinated water wear a protective, silicone based moisturiser like Dermalogica Barrier Repair, which is both water and oil free. It will cover the skin with a protective, lightweight film.
- It is best to wait a few minutes until the skin has cooled down before applying post workout products so they can absorb effectively. Take a cool shower, use cool facial towels, drink cool water, all these steps will help reduce the skin temperature and stop it from purging waste via sweat.
- Apply Dermalogica Hydrating Booster or Phyto Replenishing Serum under your moisturiser to replenish lost moisture and combat dryness.
- If the skin is prone to redness after a workout, apply Dermalogica Ultracalming Concentrate Serum designed to bring down the redness.
- Finish with a lightweight skin hydrating moisturiser, either Active Moist which is oil free or Skin Smoothing Cream, nothing too heavy or too active while the skin is hot and the blood flow is increased.
- Exfoliate and follow with Dermalogica Sebum Clearing Masque or Dermalogica Hydrating Masque a couple of times per week to keep the skin clear of congestion and super smooth.
Some other things to keep in mind when working out include:
- Avoid touching the face with dirty, sweaty hands to prevent clogged pores.
- Beware of repeated rubbing with a towel or sweat band, wearing clothing or glasses, goggles that may rub against and irritate the skin, this can cause a condition called friction acne.
- Clean helmets, hats or sunglasses often as sweaty surfaces collect dirt, bacteria and oil. Outbreaks of ringworm, herpes, and MRSA are highly contagious and common place for many exercisers, so remember to wear sandals or flip flops in communal showers.
- To nourish and boost the skins performance, look for products that contain a cocktail of multi vitamins such as Dermalogica Age Smart products.