Learn How To Keep Your Teenage Skin Clear
As you transition from child to teen to adult, puberty will trigger the movement of new chemicals in your body. Depending upon whether you are a guy or girl, these hormones will go to work on different parts of the body, and of course, impact your skin.
Teen acne is not just hormonal and related to puberty but can also part genetic. Your genes are responsible for the colour of your hair, the size of your eyes… even the skin conditions you struggle with.
Teens typically break out on the face, chest and back, and have more blackheads and whiteheads than adults do. Such breakouts often arise because the "male" hormones that both guys and girls have, surge during adolescence, causing excess production of sebum.
Your pores may become enlarged, your skin texture changes and may not feel as smooth, skin can looks and feel shiny, your cheeks may feel more sensitive and look pink, and your once flawless skin may now have evident pimples, blackheads and whiteheads.
Teenage skin has a faster cell turnover and is more resilient than adults’ skin so recovery from breakouts is quicker. After the teenage years, acne tends to improve because teen hormonal changes become more balanced and no longer fuel breakouts.
How To Keep Your Teenage Skin Clear:
Start learning and practising good skincare habits because you will be more prone to acne in the future.
Avoid ingredients like Lanolin and Mineral Oil as they clog pores and alcohol, which is commonly found in astringent toners because they strip the skin of its natural oils and can cause skin to produce more oil, encouraging even more breakouts. Artificial fragrances and colours can also further irritate breakout prone skin.
Instead look for ingredients like Salicylic Acid found in Dermalogica’s Clear Start Foaming Wash, salicylic acid dives deep into pores, clearing dead skin cells and trapped oils to help wipe out existing and future breakouts, and prevents bacteria from accumulating.
Moisturise and wear SPF daily. Dehydration and environmental stress can trigger more sebum production and make existing breakouts look worse. Even if your skin seems oily, use an oil free SPF moisturiser like Clear Start Clearing Defense spf30, to help protect and balance your skin without clogging pores.
How should I treat my teenage breakouts?
Your main focus should be to unclog pores, minimise breakout causing bacteria and control oil. Thorough cleansing, toning and moisturising day and night is a good start, as well as incorporating products that work to reduce impaction plugs, kill bacteria, control excess sebum and reduce Inflammation.
Clear Start Clearly Matte Kit makes treating breakouts easy with a 3 step cleansing, moisturising and treating regimen to deliver real results.
Practise the following clear skin habits:
- Avoid comedogenic (pore-clogging) ingredients, which can worsen breakouts.
- Use gentle exfoliants such as Clear Start Flashfoliant instead of mentholated or alcohol based toners, which can strip skin of necessary oils and trigger even more oil production.
- Drink more water to help flush out toxins, carry nutrients through the body and improve blood circulation.
- Keep sensitive skin in check with soothing, cooling ingredients and soap free cleansers such as Clear Start Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash.
- Avoid using fabric softener sheets, which are made of animal fat (namely beef lard), not to mention artificial fragrance. This comedogenic coating can get on pillowcases, irritate skin and clog pores.
- Don't cleanse with very hot water, harsh soap, vigorous scrubbing movements, or rough loofahs and brushes. It will only make breakouts worse.
- Get an occasional skin treatment such as Dermalogica's Clear Start Breakout Clearing MicroZone Treatment, designed to solve emergency issues on the spot, available at John & Ginger.
- Establish good habits and an effective skin care regimen that will set you up for a lifetime of clear, healthy skin.
Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Minis Kit
A limited edition breakout clearing collection for teen skin. Includes everything you need to stay breakout free on the go.
Teen Skin Actives Seal And Protect Lip Balm SPF10 10g
Take it with you everywhere, this Teen Skin Actives Lip Balm comes in a practical and easy to carry container.
Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash 177ml
A face wash to clear away dead skin cells, dirt and excess oil that clogs pores and causes breakouts.
Dermalogica Clear Start Clearing Defense SPF30 60ml
Protects your skin from damaging UV rays, it also provides a long lasting matte finish whilst preventing dehydration.
Dermalogica Clear Start Clearly Matte Skin Kit
Clear breakouts fast, hydrate and defend against harmful UV rays without clogging pores with this easy 3 step skincare routine for teen skin.